Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III 4GD5/OC Questions about 3d mark and msi afterburner

#1 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Just picked up the MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III 4GD5/OC going great so far, no issues. Loving the MSI afterburner software makes overclocking the GPU easy, haven't touched the settings yet but love the direct X 11 support crysis 2 ran flawless. The fans a quiet at 30% (~1160 rpm) but very loud at anything above 80%. But this card is great can handle 3 screens without sli which is a huge plus in my book, and for gaming I usually just use two, 3rd is mainly a TV/Xbox 360/blue-ray viewer.

Pics: the card, the box, and overall

Did a 3d mark test but had two problems it did not recognize my card or driver so it said the test was invalid. I am using the 304.79 beta driver from nVidia which could be causing that problem? Slightly annoying I cannot validate my stock test, which was ~9900 for the performance.

Another question is should I disable my other monitors when doing these tests and only use one to get the best performance or does it not matter?

Last question is how do I get the on screen display to work for msi afterburner? It is a little unclear on how to activate the OSD stats like FPS and such.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

1. You have to use a WHQL driver for futuremark validation.
2. Doesn't seem to matter really. I disable them because it's a pain cropping 3840 pixels of black out of my screenshots.
3. No idea, sorry; never tried to use it.
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

View Posthokiealumnus, on 12 September 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

1. You have to use a WHQL driver for futuremark validation.
2. Doesn't seem to matter really. I disable them because it's a pain cropping 3840 pixels of black out of my screenshots.
3. No idea, sorry; never tried to use it.

1 and 2 thanks

Will keep searching around for 3
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   caintry_boy 

• Heeere's Johnny!!
  • Group: Elite

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

So it's been awhile now, how do you like the new card?? Any side effects?
Posted Image

Heatware

Isaiah 6 v5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

#5 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

View Postcaintry_boy, on 27 September 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

So it's been awhile now, how do you like the new card?? Any side effects?

None, great card, awesome performance. Love that I can do 3 monitors without having to SLI it, which I am still thinking about doing.

Can run 2 DVI and 1 HDMI out, but my normal setup is just dual. The MSI afterburner is great, setup clocking and timing, as well as a fan graph, so you can set the speed vs. temp, which it currently runs at about 25C under normal/non gaming load, and about 45-50C when playing a game.

Defiantly recommend, will I see much of an increase in performance with the 2 SLI, Do a lot of gaming and I also do a lot of CS6 work in photoshop, lightroom, after effects? I can currently do the 3 screen surround by NVIDA which is kinda sweet, so will the SLI make it that much better?
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Kwikky 

• Mark
  • Group: Elite

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

For what it's worth, and from my memory, SLI and/or Crossfire DID give SOME decent performance increases. The last time I SLI'd was with a pair of EVGA 8600 cards. I honestly don't recall if they were the factory OC or the SC versions. This is back from my gaming days. Single monitor for gaming, and also running benches for competitions. I remember getting APPROXIMATELY a 20% increase in 3DMark01 (again, days gone past) with a pair of 8600's. Real world gaming was a "touch" better as far as FPS, but not enough to justify the cost of an additional card.

Then I turned to ATI once the 3870X2's came out. I ran a "tri-fire" setup for benches. An X2 and a single 3870. The increase was about 10%. It scaled MUCH better when I OC'd them, but I am talking stock, out-of-the-box clocks. Once the 4X series came out, I did the same tri-fire setup. Once the drivers matured (which took nearly 2 months for any crossfire setup), I was getting upwards of a 20% increase in bench scores. Again, to me, not enough to justify the cost.

MANY things have changed since those days. Lane speeds, GPU utilization and loads of other things that I have no clue about. You WILL increase your performance no matter what, but "Dollar To Power", you could be wasting your money.

I hope this helps.

Mark
I forget what's in this thing, but it runs perfect!!

#7 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostKwikky, on 29 September 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

I hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks, yea I know what you mean for "Power per Dollar" and I don't see a huge increase at the moment. Aside from that Will I have enough power in my current system?

Running 1200W Using:
i7 990x listed at 130W
MSI N680GTX (nvidia says 195W maximum, with minimum system total of 550W) so OC edtion just north of 200W
Intel SSD idle 75 mW = 0.075 watts, maximum active 150 mW = 0.150 watts
Secondary HDD (game installs and such) just says low power consumption
LG Blu-ray Disc Drive no listed power consumption

Outside of that I have keyboard and mouse that is it under normal conditions, so I am guessing that power should not be a huge issue if I wanted to do Dual SLI??
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users