Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
NVIDIA driver issues

#1 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just battled with driver issues on my laptop. Have an old Alienware m15x from 2008...lol and it has the NVIDIA 8800m gtx graphics card in it and I thought it would be a good idea to update the drivers on it, and started with the graphics card, and after blue screen and safe mode and completely removing drivers, I was finally able to roll back to a drive from 2009 and get it running properly again.

Just wondering why I had soo many problems when NVIDIA claims that a driver supports a card and completely crashes the system. It could be the fact that the whole system is old and maybe the driver clashes with the mobo and such?

On another note looking to upgrade my desktop card this summer from the geforce 580 gtx to the 680 gtx, any thoughts on this new card and does anyone have a release date?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   caintry_boy 

• Heeere's Johnny!!
  • Group: Elite

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

You can get one now > http://www.newegg.co...%20600%20series

Hate to say that I have no experience with one...on the other hand I do have experience with drivers that don't work on some cards/systems. Got a buddy going thru that right now in fact, latest drivers fail and older ones working.

:grin2:
Posted Image

Heatware

Isaiah 6 v5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

#3 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thanks, the only reason I asked about the release date is because ever since I heard and read about details on the NVIDIA website, newegg as only had the auto notify option, maybe meaning that this thing is selling super fast and no one can keep it in stock. Maybe will just have to wait for the stock to stable out

:overhere:
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   caintry_boy 

• Heeere's Johnny!!
  • Group: Elite

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

If you're not "brand particular"...

http://www.superbiiz...name=ZT-680_2GP

http://www.allstarsh..._472_33922.html

:grin2:
Posted Image

Heatware

Isaiah 6 v5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty."

#5 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, but since I have been reading about the 690 coming out I am not sure what to do...

The gtx 680 (195 watts) uses less power compared to the 580 (244 watts). Not sure about the 690 (300 watts), the price is about the price of 2 680s. Thinking about doing dual SLI on 680s would be about (400 watts) and I get to SLI my system but looking at the specs doing dual SLI on the 680 is basically the same, mathematically to the 690.

Not sure what the better deal is, doing the dual SLI or getting the 690 which would be about the same price as the two 680s.

My system currently has a 1200 watt power supply and my CPU uses 130w, so I think either way the power should be OK. Think if I SLI would need a bigger case than the one I have.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users