The Raptor Pit: i7 990x 12gb or 24gb of ram? Also, W7 install prob's. - The Raptor Pit

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
i7 990x 12gb or 24gb of ram? Also, W7 install prob's. Please read entire thread. Thank you.

#21 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostInteller, on 03 March 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

To be honest, you would have been better off getting a complete set that was selected together as a 12Gb set!

Kingston HyperX 12GB (6 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104168

This set could have been had for the same price you paid, and it's DDR3-1600
Much more throughput than the DDR3-1066

Your timings may have to be loosened even more to be stable, as those timings are for a set of 3x2Gb (6Gb set) memory modules!

Any 12Gb set will have much looser timings than a 6Gb set has! A stable setting for your memory timings might be: 9-9-9-24 2T (2T may be 2N or CR2 in your bios)

Nice system, and good luck with it!

Soo glad this thread is still alive as I updated my BIOS today for my build, and it reset my memory settings, an I am finally going to replace the RAM, and going with your suggestion of getting a whole kit of 12gb not piecing it together with multiple 4gb kits.

Have a a couple of options I am looking at wanted to know what would be best, still going to keep at 12gb
This is what i currently have -- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148246

Looking to upgrade to:
G.SKILL NQ 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-12GBNQ
timing: 9-9-9-24
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231350
or
CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1333C9
timing: 9-9-9-24
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145233

voltages are both 1.5v, which is my current set up
my current timing settings are: 8-8-8-21

are these viable options for upgrading? / getting better memory than I currently have?
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

I would very highly suggest going with 3x4GB instead (this kit in particular). Running full DIMMs is always a pain in the rear and with 3x4GB sticks costing the same as 6x2G there's no reason to go with six DIMMs.

1600 / 9-9-9-24 will show a small improvement over 1333 / 8-8-8-21 in benchmarks, but 24/7 use it'll be a little more difficult to tell. If you use memory & CPU intensive programs (Folding@Home, video/audio editing & encoding, heavy photo manipulation) then you'll probably notice a difference. If you just game, there probably won't be much to call home about.
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Posthokiealumnus, on 14 March 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

I would very highly suggest going with 3x4GB instead (this kit in particular). Running full DIMMs is always a pain in the rear and with 3x4GB sticks costing the same as 6x2G there's no reason to go with six DIMMs.

1600 / 9-9-9-24 will show a small improvement over 1333 / 8-8-8-21 in benchmarks, but 24/7 use it'll be a little more difficult to tell. If you use memory & CPU intensive programs (Folding@Home, video/audio editing & encoding, heavy photo manipulation) then you'll probably notice a difference. If you just game, there probably won't be much to call home about.

Taking you suggestion and going with less sticks and more memory, looking at using less voltage, and going for 1.35v, 16gb kit, DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
or looking at this.

Main question is, will it affect my system decreasing the voltage of the ram? Will I decrease performance decreasing voltage and increasing ram to 16gb?

or to see a difference do I need this: 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) keeping the voltage current at 1.50v?

I really like the first option of using 4 sticks for 16gb at the same speed PC3 12800 at 1.35v. My current timing is 8-8-8-21 at 1.50v, the one I am looking at is 9-9-9-24, how much will I notice increasing the timings on the ram?
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Decreasing voltage won't change a thing. As long as the RAM runs its rated speed at rated voltage, everything is fine. The reason for the $20 difference between the two kits is the voltage. Lower voltage leads to less heat and lower IMC strain, in theory. I'd go for the cheaper set b/c 1.5v is plenty low and it doesn't make any practical difference. Plus I prefer the blue.

Pick one, set the recommended voltage, speed and timings and be happy. :)

EDIT - Forgot your last question. In daily use you most likely won't notice any difference between the two. There will be a notable difference when looking for it via benchmark testing, but in daily use it won't hurt going to 9-9-9-24.
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Posthokiealumnus, on 29 March 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Decreasing voltage won't change a thing. As long as the RAM runs its rated speed at rated voltage, everything is fine. The reason for the $20 difference between the two kits is the voltage. Lower voltage leads to less heat and lower IMC strain, in theory. I'd go for the cheaper set b/c 1.5v is plenty low and it doesn't make any practical difference. Plus I prefer the blue.

Pick one, set the recommended voltage, speed and timings and be happy. :)

EDIT - Forgot your last question. In daily use you most likely won't notice any difference between the two. There will be a notable difference when looking for it via benchmark testing, but in daily use it won't hurt going to 9-9-9-24.

Thanks! Went with the blue ones they do look nice and match the lights, have blue and white ones. Should be an easy install, set bios to the ram's listed settings and go!
Posted Image

#26 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Exactly right. Enjoy!

Posted Image

#27 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Looking good, running better, main reason for the RAM upgrade/switch was because of issues with the initial install, can't believe that I am finally working on this project, but it is fun. Everything looks good!
Posted Image

#28 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Great to hear! That's a sweet system you have there. Feel free to post a pic if you'd like. :)

Posted Image

#29 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

So after doing some research, they don't make my CPU (i7 990x) or my Mobo any more, but here is my rig. Real simple case and simple blue and white lighting. Added an after market heat sink to the video card (NVIDIA GTX 580) it dropped the running temp by 20c which is awesome! Definitely suggest this to any one with the card. I don't have it SLI-ed so I am not sure about it fitting two of them together. I have 2 monitors that I run out of it and an HD tv on occasion, depends on what I am doing. Use a naga epic and blackwidow ultimate for gaming.

New Ram

Installed

Inside the Rig

Case
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Looking great!

One suggestion - With the extra stick in there, you're running single channel RAM. Having that extra stick in only one of the three channels is going to throw everything off for multi-channel operation. You have two options in a triple-channel system. If you don't need an extra 4GB, you can remove the one stick and run triple-channel 12GB. Or (and this is my suggestion) you could configure them for dual channel. Move the two sticks that are separate next to each other. I don't know how your DIMMs are labeled, but pretend they're labeled as such:

A1,A2|B1,B2|C1,C2

Currently you're running your ram as: A1,A2|B1,--|C1,--. You'll have to check your manual but one of these three configurations should enable dual channel:

A1,A2|B1,B2|--,--
A1,A2|--,--|C1,C2
--,--|B1,B2|C1,C2

Any of those SHOULD be dual channel, but chances are there is one particular combination in your motherboard manual it prefers. Check it out.

I apologize for not realizing you were linking to 4 stick kits previously, I don't know what I was thinking considering it's very evident. That said, I've tested dual, triple and quad-channel configurations (see the graphs in this review). As long as you have dual-channel in operation, you're good. The difference between the other two isn't going to be noticeable except for very long (an hour plus) rendering or compression sessions. Barring that, you're talking a second or three here and there, which most people won't notice.

Posted Image

#31 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

View Posthokiealumnus, on 03 April 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

Looking great!

One suggestion - With the extra stick in there, you're running single channel RAM. Having that extra stick in only one of the three channels is going to throw everything off for multi-channel operation. You have two options in a triple-channel system. If you don't need an extra 4GB, you can remove the one stick and run triple-channel 12GB. Or (and this is my suggestion) you could configure them for dual channel. Move the two sticks that are separate next to each other. I don't know how your DIMMs are labeled, but pretend they're labeled as such:

A1,A2|B1,B2|C1,C2

Currently you're running your ram as: A1,A2|B1,--|C1,--. You'll have to check your manual but one of these three configurations should enable dual channel:

A1,A2|B1,B2|--,--
A1,A2|--,--|C1,C2
--,--|B1,B2|C1,C2

Any of those SHOULD be dual channel, but chances are there is one particular combination in your motherboard manual it prefers. Check it out.

I apologize for not realizing you were linking to 4 stick kits previously, I don't know what I was thinking considering it's very evident. That said, I've tested dual, triple and quad-channel configurations (see the graphs in this review). As long as you have dual-channel in operation, you're good. The difference between the other two isn't going to be noticeable except for very long (an hour plus) rendering or compression sessions. Barring that, you're talking a second or three here and there, which most people won't notice.

This was a factor in putting them in my current slots maybe I have it wrong, but my bios said the slots are labeled in this order:
4,1|5,2,|6,3

Here is a link to Intel's site of what came with my board, also has the same labels on them

The big manual page 40 info about RAM
Main Memory
• Six 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM)
sockets arranged in three channels
• Support for DDR3 1600+, DDR3 1333 MHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, and
DDR3 800 MHz DIMMs. Speeds over 1600 MHz are supported via
XMP profiles
• Support for ECC and non-ECC memory
• Support for up to 24 GB of system memory

based on this maybe I did it correctly? Or maybe I am reading the labels incorrect in the BIOS? I am open to the moving them to increase system performance
Posted Image

#32 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

The slots are for triple-channel. If you populated 1,2,3 or 4,5,6, you'd run triple channel. For dual channel you want to run:

4,1|5,2|-,-
4,1|-,-|6,3 or
-,-|5,2|6,3

I would go with the first option, because you're using the 1st and 2nd channels per their numbering. I see what you were doing, populating 1,2,3,4 and it makes sense but unfortunately is incorrect for dual channel. The numbering is skewed when running dual.

Posted Image

#33 User is offline   NIS4 

• Geek

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the help, was able to get it running at the full 1600mhz using the XMP profile. Had problems using the previous AA,xB,xC setup. Now that I am using AA,BB,xx, it actually does run smoother and can tell a difference. :thanks:

Just out of interest in the topic, how do these channels work? I am currently in college and in upper level computer science classes and wanted to some how relate this to what I have learned and how this affects how the OS uses RAM. My best guess would be these channels are different access points, ie the network/hardware can use channel B while the CPU can use channel A, so that the NIC/hardware does not have to go through the CPU directly?

Not sure just wondering how these channels are implemented
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About SDRAM (Memory): But Were Afraid to Ask

It's long, it's deep and it may or may not be the answer you were looking for. Good luck!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users