The Raptor Pit: Getting Started With the Folding@Home SMP Client - The Raptor Pit

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
Getting Started With the Folding@Home SMP Client A Quick-Hit Guide

#1 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

Before even beginning, let's have a look at Stanford's list of Requirements for Installation:
Before you start the installation process of the SMP console client, there are a few requirements you must check to make sure the client will work correctly :

1. You have a computer with at least a recent dual core or better to run the SMP client. This means than the older single core processors won't be able to run it. Since it's a high performance client, if you notice that after installation, it doesn't always meet the deadlines, please use the uniprocessor client instead.
2. If you are installing this under Windows XP, you are required to download and install the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0. You can download the package from Microsoft. Windows Vista already includes the necessary package by default so it's not necessary to do it if you install the client under Vista.
3. If you are running Windows XP, you need to have the Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed to make the client work right. If you don't have this service pack, it's possible the client will not behave properly.
4. The Windows user account you are using to install the client must have a password and have enough administrator rights. Blank passwords will not work and you must have a password only with those valid characters : A-Z, a-z and 0-9. Special characters should not be used to avoid any potential issues. If you change the password of the Windows user account, you need to rerun install.bat. The password being used to install is encrypted in the registry and not transmitted to the Stanford servers.

Get the Software
Now that you have determined you meet the requirements, download the software. First, download the SMP client installer from Stanford. I prefer the MPICH version, because I resist change and it's easier.

Installation and Configuration
Head over to this page and follow Stanford's instructions for installing the MPICH client. They're much better than I have time to type and it comes with pictures. wink.gif

NOTE: Because of the recent client expiration, after installing the client but before proceeding further with the program configuration, you'll need to download the (non-expired) drop-in executable and overwrite the file in the directory you just installed the client to. Why stanford chooses to do it this way instead of re-packaging the installer is beyond me. Perhaps they'll do so sometime soon. After doing this, proceed with the rest of the configuration in the Stanford instructions.

When configuring the client, don't forget to enter the username of your choice (this is where your points will be credited; if you've folded in the past, use the same user name) and enter team # 13285 when asked!

Other options you should choose for optimal PPD:
  • Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
    may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
    'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]? ...choose "big"
  • Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
    scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]? ...choose "yes"
Flags and Executing the Client
If you configured the client as instructed, you did so with flags by running the configuration like so: fah6 -configonly -smp . If you did not use the -smp flag in your configuration, you'll need to create a shortcut to fah6 and edit the command line to include the -smp flag. So the target will then be: "C:\<YOUR F@H DIRECTORY>\fah6.exe -smp" (without quotes of course).

There are a couple more flags you can use. These are the ones I go with:
-smp (because I didn't install with the -smp flag)
-advmethods (redundant, but I do it anyway)
-forceasm (per stanford: "Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible, even if it has previously made the determination that the machine may not be handling this well." This one is mostly out of date now, but still helps if it applies.)
-verbosity 9 (gives you the maximum detailed info in your console)

So, my command line looks like: "C:\Folding@Home-SMP\fah6.exe -smp -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9"

Run that shortcut and you're folding!

**ANY INPUT IS WELCOME. I'm certainly not an expert like MikeJ. If anyone has suggestions for adding to this or corrections to what is here, please speak up!***
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hiding the Folding@Home Console Client

Now that you're up and running, you may not like that console window hanging out in your taskbar. Thankfully, there is a very simple way to get rid of it. I've even taken the hard part out of it for you.
  • Start by downloading this file, which contains the program you'll use to hide & unhide the client (cmdow), two .txt files that come with it as well as three .bat files.
  • Extract all .zip contents to whatever directory you have your F@H client in.
  • Most likely, your directory name is different than mine, so you'll have to do a little file editing.
  • If you've renamed your client's .exe file, you'll need to edit the command in the launching batch file "F@H-SMP.bat". Right-click on F@H-SMP.bat and select "Edit". The command as it stands is:
    start cmdow.exe /RUN /HID Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe -smp -verbosity 9 -forceasm -advmethods
  • If you followed the instructions Sanford gave you, you will have renamed your console program to fah6.exe. So you'll want to change Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe to fah6.exe. If you do not want to use all of the flags I use, now is the time to delete those as well. Now, click "File" & "Save" (not "Save As..."; you may accidentally save it as a .txt file).
  • Now, you'll have to change the commands in both the "F@H-SMP Hide.bat" and "F@H-SMP Unhide.bat" files. Right click & "Edit" as before and change the targets as necessary. It's pretty self-explanatory once you're in there, you just need to know where to point it to your console client. For exmaple, mine says
    cmdow.exe "C:\Folding@Home-SMP\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe" /HID

You'l need to edit the path in quotes to wherever your client is.
Now you're done with all of the necessary editing. To run your client, just double-click on "F@H-SMP.bat"; this will start the client and hide it at the same time. You'll see it pop up very briefly before disappearing. To see the client, double-click on "F@H-SMP Unhide.bat". Likewise, to make it invisible again, double-click on "F@H-SMP Hide.bat".

Of course, if you'd prefer, you're more than welcome to rename those shortcuts. I have mine designated SMP because this whole thing works just as well on the GPU console client...so those say F@H-GPU. The only difference is in the client directories and the flags used in the initial command.

Now, this is the first time I've written anything up in here. Surely someone will run into problems. Let me know how the process goes for you. If you run into snags or thing something would make it easier, just let me know and we can get the necessary changes implemented. Thanks!
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

Reserved.

(This post will be about monitoring the clients.)

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Mr. Chris 

• Geek That Seen It
  • Group: Elite

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I thought I would post for anyone else that has the problem I had trying to install the SMP client on a Vista machine:
http://fahwiki.net/index.php/How_do_I_i ... s_Vista%3F

The main part that finally made it work for me was this:

Run install.bat

The install.bat file installs the SMPD service, and registers MPICH2 with your user name and password, as needed by the SMP client.

* Click the Start button. Click All Programs, then click Accessories, then right-click the Command Prompt. Select Run As Administrator.

* If asked, click Continue or Run at any additional UAC or FireWall prompts, etc.

* In the Command Prompt window, navigate to the folder where you installed the SMP client, and where the install.bat file is located. (i.e. - cd to C:\Users\<%username%>\FAH\ )

Note: If you don't know how to change directories in a command window, just type in each line below and press Enter.

C:
CD \
CD Users
CD <%username%> <-- where %username% is your user folder
CD FAH <-- enter the folder name where you installed the client above
install

* When prompted for a user account name, do not type anything, just press Enter (FAH will enter the default user name displayed, so no need to type it again).

* When prompted for the password, type in the password for this user account and press Enter. Do not be concerned, no characters or asterisks are displayed as you type in the password.

* Type in the password again to confirm, and press Enter.

Note: You should see prompts like this when you follow the above instructions closely:

C:\Windows\system32> C:\Users\%username%\FAH\install.bat <-- The command prompt, and the full path

MPICH2 Process Manager, Argonne National Lab installed. <-- Displayed when it works correctly
account (domain\user) [(yourhostname)\(yourusername)]:
password:
confirm password:
Password encrypted into the Registry.
If you see this twice, MPI is working <-- Appears twice if all went well
If you see this twice, MPI is working <--
Press any key to continue . . .

* Press any key, and close the Command Prompt window.

* If you do not see this line twice If you see this twice, MPI is working, do not start the client. MPI is not successfully installed, and the client will not run successfully. Please review the steps above. If all steps were followed correctly, please post on the Folding Forum for assistance.

Somehow just telling Vista, in the Properties of the shortcut, to run the program as Administrator, didn't work. I had to use the above Command line stuff to get it to take. Chris.

1) GA-990FXA-UD3, Phenom II 970,8Gb G Skill Sniper 1866, EVGA GTX470 SC, 2x500Gb SATA II RAID 0, Win 7 Ult. 64 bit
2) AX78, Phenom 9500, 2Gb OCZ PC6400, EVGA 9800GTX+, CDRW, XP Pro SP2
3) AX78, Phenom 9600, 2Gb OZC PC6400, EVGA 9800GTX, CDRW, XP Pro SP2.

Folding in memory of my cousin Joy Canary.

#5 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Would WINDOWS 7 install the same as VISTA?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
GIGABYTE P55 UD4P-i5 750-Thermalright HR01 Plus-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7

#6 User is offline   TheWolf 

• Grand Master Geek
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

W7 had pretty much everything needed already installed to run SMP.
Setup for me was like setting up in XP, pretty painless.
Unlike XP were I had to install frame ware & MS extra's.

#7 User is offline   Raymo 

• Frozen Jack..
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

good stuff guys.. tup.gif
Intel i7-3960x ~ Gigabyte G1 Assassin2 ~ GSkill 16gb RipjawsX 2400 ~ 3x GTX 580 ~ 2x Kingston HyperX SSD2x Dragon F1 Extreme LN2 Pots ~ Koolance EXOS 2.5 H20 System ~ Koolance CPU & VGA Waterblocks

#8 User is offline   crenclan 

• Major Geek
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Win7 works fine for me. Easier than Vista or XP. Set uac to lowest setting.

#9 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

What happens if you have to reset the router?
Do you lose the current assignment?
GIGABYTE P55 UD4P-i5 750-Thermalright HR01 Plus-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7

#10 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

No, just don't leave it disconnected. Sometimes they used to not like it when you lose connectivity. However, my stupid cheapo wireless router forgets it is connected to the internet every three days or so. The worse that has happened is the WU isn't uploaded and a new one isn't downloaded until I refresh the router's status (HATE that thing).

I haven't forgotten about hiding the consoles either. If my main rig ever gets to running properly, I'll get it written up for you. Sorry.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(hokiealumnus @ Jul 15 2009, 11:10 PM) View Post
No, just don't leave it disconnected. Sometimes they used to not like it when you lose connectivity. However, my stupid cheapo wireless router forgets it is connected to the internet every three days or so. The worse that has happened is the WU isn't uploaded and a new one isn't downloaded until I refresh the router's status (HATE that thing).

I haven't forgotten about hiding the consoles either. If my main rig ever gets to running properly, I'll get it written up for you. Sorry.

Not a prob.
Well.
This Linksys I now have usually does pretty well.
I had a network timeout earlier tonite for some reason and that's why the thought occurred to me.
We seem to be covering the bases on all of this.

#12 User is offline   skou 

• The "strange" Mod

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hokey, how's about a sticky for this?

I don't even know if I'm allowed to do that, but this info should stay on the first page.

Opinions?

steve

#13 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

I think you can, but I'm not sure. Should be in the lower left in the "Moderation Options" menu. Taken care of now. Thanks for thinking it worthy of sticking. smile.gif

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

Ok, finally added the hiding part of the tutorial. Someone try it and let me know how it goes. smile.gif

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users