• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
LAPPING A HEATSINK & CPU - What, Why and How

#21 User is offline   .aT 

• Grand Master Geek
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:31 AM

Well, Hokie...I followed your thread and advice to a T and lapped my HSF Monday evening. All in all it was ten bucks, just like you said. Definitely high in the center. I spent about the same amount of time, maybe a little more. Right off the bat, without the AS5 cured yet, I believe I am seeing 2C lower temps. Could be more, comperatively-speaking, since I upped my Vcore to 1.45 V from 1.425 a couple of days ago. I'm use to seeing a wee'bit lower temp before but I believe I only went up 1C when I upped the V. Point is, once cured, I hope to see another 1-2C drop, that would be nice. It was worth it to me no matter the amount of the drop, just knowing that I have a more level contact service and I'm doing everything I can to be responsible with my temps. I don't expect much more than that because I didn't touch the CPU. Thought about...kept looking over at it while I was lapping...VERY tempted, I was. lol But I did not. If I remember, in a couple of weeks or a little longer, I'll edit my reply with a cured temp of sorts.

THANK YOU again for the thread and details. Cheers!

P.S. Yes, it came out all nice and shiny with a level flat surface. lol Forgot to mention that.
Abit ANS78GS | AMD 940 3.6GHz | GSkill DDR2 1066 2x2GB | EVGA 9800GTX+ SC | Corsair 550W | Sunbeam cooler | Antec 300

GB GA-X58-USB3 rev. 1.0 | i7-980x 4GHz | Corsair DDR3 2000 3x2GB | MSI 480GTX Twin Frozr II | Corsair 750W | True Black | Storm Sniper

#22 User is offline   Sid2.0 

• Super Geek
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

What a helpful thread Hokie!! I am inspired. To try it one day soon. Of course I will have to go to the moon to do this... The kids and wife will never leave me alone long enough to do this with out messing it up.. pullhair.gif

Thanks Hokie!!
Intel Pentium 4, 3GHz CPU (Prescott)Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G ASUS P4G800-V (Mother Board)Radeon X1950 Pro(256MB) Seagate7200(320GB) HD MS Wireless mouse(opt)2GB RAM (Patriot)FSP-500W(PS)WinXP(SP2)

#23 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hahaha. Now that I've got a little one, I know exactly how you feel. Do it after they go to bed and you should be ok. wink.gif

You're both very welcome, glad it could help.
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   wdeydwondrer 

• the boy who knows nothing
  • Group: Elite

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

i can't seem to find my pics when i lapped my hsf and cpu, but i went all the way down to a 2000 grit, and then used metal polish. the shine was a perfect mirror, lol. don't know what good the overkill was, but it was definenty more pretty

#25 Guest_Don_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Thank you hokiealumnus

Your thread about lapping really interest's me! I will try this on my next build. But as for my current rig, I am using the OCZ Vendetta 2

I just wanted to say this, concerning your discussion with cromelex. I was using the Arctic Cooler 7 Pro first, and then switched to this Vendetta 2 cpu cooler. I have been very happy with the outcome! My idle temps only dropped by about 2c, but under a 99% load on all 4 cores, using the latest version of the OCCT Stress Test, my temps with the AC cooler were 55c to 57c @3.6GHz, and with the Vendetta 2 my highest temps are 46c to 48c. Same OC, and same voltage on both tests.

This is what I'm using in the Raptor Bowl, as you can see I was able to push some pretty high voltage, and OC my cpu with no damage, using air only! I was keeping a close eye on the heat! That last benchmark score was my limit.

Thats some great info about Lapping hokiealumnus
Thanks again!

#26 User is offline   Inteller 

• Grand Master Geek
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Just wanted to say, great tutorial! I've lapped my X3380, and cpu cooler. As it did take quite a while for my cpu cooler, the cpu was much easier! I also took the time to take it to 2000 grit. My temps under full load have dropped 7c, and idles at 21c to 26c across all 4 cores. Core 0 always seams to idle higher than the other 3 cores. I'm currently going to offer to lap my friends cpu's and coolers, which I've built for them. 3 already want me to start right away. They are overclockers with borderline temps, but still within the safe zone.

I was really surprised at the ridge line that went right down the middle of one of my cpu coolers.
That Lap alone took me over 2 hours to complete.

Just one note of interest!
After reading your step by step "How to" on Lapping, I researched it on the web, and aside of page after page of how to lap, and page after page of glowing reviews from people who have lapped there cpu and cooler, there's one (IMO), IDIOT, who has nothing to say except that people that lap are morons, and has nothing but opinions left for him that he is wrong, and that lapping does actually work, and work well. He still insists that all who perform this lapping of cpu's and cpu coolers are morons. Not one single person, who signed up to leave a comment, agreed with him. He just kept calling them Morons. Talk about single minded, (or narrow minded)! LOL

Great article!
Regards
Inteller

#27 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the compliments!

If the cooler you were referring to was your Thermalrigh Ultra 120 Extreme, it's because they're designed that way. Thermalright thinks it makes better contact if you bow the HS out a bit. In theory it makes sense....however, I've seen a lot of happy campers after lapping their CPU & TRUE. Two perfectly flat surfaces are much better than overcompensating with a bowed HS.
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Inteller 

• Grand Master Geek

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Your right!

It was the true black, I really had to work hard to get that flat!
Luckily I have a 1/4" thick piece of plate glass 2'x2', and a lot of wet/dry sand paper! LOL

Tested it with a LED flashlight and a razor blade, and it came out perfect!
I have another one done also, going to one of my friends, but I ran out of sand paper to do his cpu, but the cpu's are much easier IMO, so it shouldn't take to long.

The only thing I really dislike, are the stuck sensors on the Intel Quads!
Never fails! 2 sensors work, and 2 are stuck!
The 2 that work, register at 22c and 21c (idle)
The stuck 2 wont go below 34c and 33c (idle)

#29 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!
  • Group: Elite

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(hokiealumnus @ Sep 8 2009, 12:28 AM) View Post
Thanks for the compliments!

If the cooler you were referring to was your Thermalrigh Ultra 120 Extreme, it's because they're designed that way. Thermalright thinks it makes better contact if you bow the HS out a bit. In theory it makes sense....however, I've seen a lot of happy campers after lapping their CPU & TRUE. Two perfectly flat surfaces are much better than overcompensating with a bowed HS.

I have one TRUE lapped and one unlapped.
Made no difference.
I have on HR01 Plus lapped and one unlapped.
Made about a 6C difference.
I lapped the ZALMAN that is on this I45.
BIG DIFFERENCE.
10C.
Lapping works.
How you apply compound has a huge influence as well.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
GIGABYTE P55 UD4P-i5 750-Thermalright HR01 Plus-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7

#30 User is offline   Inteller 

• Grand Master Geek

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

Well thanks again chuck!

I did my True B, and my x3380, and still got an extra 7c to play with under full load!
At 4.0GHz it's almost like running stock voltage's! LOL
Happy camper here!

Besides your tutorial, I could only fine one other as good as yours!

I'm excited to try this hardware on my TPower I45 Biostar board!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users