The Raptor Pit: EVERYBODY OFF THE BUS!!! - The Raptor Pit

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic
EVERYBODY OFF THE BUS!!! Our Original Thread.

#1 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!
  • Group: Elite

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

Welcome to TRP, and BASIC TRAINING!
The mission here is simple: To help you build it right the first time!

The majority of first-time builders have limited knowledge of the inner workings of a Desktop PC, are on a building budget, or both. So they surf around, find a forum, ask for advice, buy the recommended hardware, assemble it, and start it up. Then they find out that they have just assembled the piece of crap in the known PC world. Why? Because too many PC builders forums and tech lines are advising them to invest in hardware simply because of who makes the product. If not that, they are advising assembly of parts that just weren't meant to work together to begin with. Put simply.
The purpose of this Sub-Forum is to:
1st - Get you a little more familiar with building fundamentals. We'll keep in the simplest of terms. I promise that we're not going to throw any Robert Goddard-style technical jargon at you. You'll find plenty of that as your knowledge progresses, and you begin reading around the rest of TRP.
2nd- To learn what you will be using your PC for, and your budget. If you only have $800. to spend, then we will ernestly try to help you assemble the best possible $800. PC. If you have money to burn, then we'll go ahead and put you on the Moon the first time!
If a piece of hardware is crap, we are going to tell you it's crap. TRP is an assembly of real world class PC building veterans. In just a short period of time, it has become the melting pot of the Overclocking world. There's plenty of members that have been around a lot longer than me. If it's been done in the PC world, it's been done by somebody here. TRP's knowledge base is infinite. Remember the 3 Cs: COMPLAINT. CAUSE. CORRECTION. Always remember.
3rd- Just to help you get your system going. If you have a problem bringing her into the world, we'll be right here. 9 times out of 10, if you have correctly assembled the right hardware, you will hit Power On, and just be stopping by to tell everybody how great your new system is running!
Carry On!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
GIGABYTE P55 UD4P-i5 750-Thermalright HR01 Plus-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7

#2 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

I'm trying to get my notes, files, and product info organized everybody. Patience. It's going to take a few days to get everything prepared. If you have any questions that require an immediate response. PM me. or buzz me over at GeIL.
Thanx!!!
GIGABYTE P55 UD4P-i5 750-Thermalright HR01 Plus-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7

#3 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Well, we seem to be off to a slow start. Probably a good thing since I'm still recovering from that ol' heart attack.
Maybe by the time ABIT's IX48 MAX hits the shelves, we'll have some action!
That's going to fun building those!
bbq.gif

#4 User is offline   Raymo 

• Frozen Jack..
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:38 PM

Most of the members are pretty experienced but as the new comers show up, you'll get alot of questions about how to set up their systems...
For those who dont know... Chuck is very adept at setting up memory and helping people at the GEIL USA forums.
I have found him very knowledgable for an old guy (old guys forget alot) idontknow.gif

How old are you? 40??? horrormovie.gif
J/Kidding... Chucks got the answers if you got the questions whistling.gif
Intel i7-3960x ~ Gigabyte G1 Assassin2 ~ GSkill 16gb RipjawsX 2400 ~ 3x GTX 580 ~ 2x Kingston HyperX SSD2x Dragon F1 Extreme LN2 Pots ~ Koolance EXOS 2.5 H20 System ~ Koolance CPU & VGA Waterblocks

#5 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Raymo @ Dec 6 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post
How old are you? 40??? horrormovie.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

#6 User is offline   TUBBYTUBB 

• THE ONE THE ONLY TUBBYTUBB

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

+1 for saying chuck know's what he is talking about. clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

THOMAS
I Desperately Need A New System
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(tubbytubb @ Sep 13 2008, 12:41 AM) View Post
+1 for saying chuck know's what he is talking about. clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

THOMAS

Well.
You know what they say.
"IF YOU CAN'T DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE................"

#8 User is offline   Smith 

• User
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

cheers this will all come in very very handy!

#9 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Raymo @ Dec 6 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post
J/Kidding... Chucks got the answers if you got the questions whistling.gif

spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif spaz.gif

As long as you don't catch me on one of my dementia days.
You know how us old guys are.

#10 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

not sure if this is the right place to post this or if i'm your first customer. idontknow.gif

this is my planned build hope to be complete by end of january, i'm not much of a gamer so going to use my hd3850 which i already own, also going to use the optical drives i have 1's a dvdrw ide and 1's a dvdrw sata, a multi card reader, 1x500gig sata drive and 2 pci tv cards.(can get more info on these parts if needed)

this pc will probably have to last me years and years and max spend has to be under £1,500. hysterical.gif i hope to oc to about 4ghz or just under depending on temps without a big increase in voltages(like i said has to last), it will be running 24/7 and its main use will be as a folding machine and pvr running mythtv under suse 11.1,

the new parts:- (i'm not sure i'll get the parts from links listed but at least you'll get the full info)

case :- Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=CA-156-CM

power supply:- Corsair TX 850W :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=CA-013-CS

motherboard:- EVGA Intel X58 :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=MB-014-EA (this was chosen mainly
because of the layout of the pci slots so i could use 2 for my tv cards along with 1 double slot graphics card, and not because of any ocing abilities)

cpu:- Intel Core i7 920 :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=BU-002-IN

memory:- Corsair 6GB DDR3 Dominator :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=MY-168-CS

hard drive:- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=HD-197-SE

water cooling:-

fan control unit:-(ray put me onto this) NZXT Sentry LX:- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=CM-000-NX (i like the MCubed T-Balancer bigNG 4:- http://www.scan.co.u....rates-your-sys) because it seems to have more control options,a better power per channel watt rating so can put multi fans on each channel and use 1 channel to control the pump but it doesn't have a display panel which i would like and also seems to be lacking software support)

fans:- 6x Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....n%20-%203%20Pin

cpu block:- Swiftech Apogee GTZ :- http://www.overclock...howproduct....5)%20Waterblock (couldn't find a link to 1 with the correct mountings for core i7)

radiator:- TFC Xchanger Triple Radiator 360 :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/TFC-Xchange...ng-G1-4-Threads

pump:- XSPC Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra(18w) inc Acrylic Top :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/XSPC-Laing-...inc-Acrylic-Top

reservoir:- Swiftech MCRES :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....ling%20Resevoir

temp sensors:- 2x Alphacool TEMP Thermo sensor :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Alphacool-T...8mm-PlugIn-G1-4

connectors:- 12x TFC FI-0012 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Compression Fitting :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/TFC-FI-0012...-BSPP-High-Flow

tubing:- 2metres TFC Blue UV Reactive Tube 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD :- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2m-TFC-Blue...e-1-2-ID-3-4-OD

right thats all the new parts, now nothing is set in stone yet, not even the case(tho i must admit i like it)

was thinking of putting the rad at top of case(internal with maybe extra long screws think 3 fans go outside chassis under top cover with rad inside and the extra 3 fans) with the 6 fans in a push pull config, with 1 temp gauge before rad intake after cpu block out, with rad out connected to resevoir(placement not known yet till i see case) then pump at bottom with 1 temp gauge on outflow before cpu block.

now what i want to happen is 2 push/pull configs off with just 1 push pull config on(low speed) at low temps, 1 off with 2 push/pull configs on at good temps(low speed), all 3 push/pull configs on at high temps with fan speed raising when all 3 configs are on(would love to do the same with pump running at low volts until all six fans turn on, i want it to be as quiet as possible) also i would like the case fans to run low speed until case temp(chipsets) raise then the fan speed to raise too.

Sorry for such a long post but thought it would help you, if you knew exactly what i was thinking, to help choose the right parts and offer any suggestions.

This is probably going to be my first and only build so want to get it right. many thanks in advance. beerchug.gif

edit:- fix links.
cpu:- core i7 920
motherboard:- gigabyte EX58-UD3R
memory:- Corsair 6GB DDR3 Dominator PC3-12800C8 1600MHz
gpu:- asus gtx275
hard drives:- ocz 60gb agility ssd, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
power supply:- PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
case:- Coolermaster ATCS 840
watercooled cpu.

#11 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Welcome aboard Terry and Happy New Year.
Well.
X58 is new.
I'm sure that you knew that.
It's impossible to say "YAY" or "NAY" on the motherboard. None of the X58 motherboards have track records yet. Not very long ones anyway.
We've got a couple of builders here using ASUS and GIGABYTE X58 boards, I'll let them throw in their 2 cents as far as motherboards go.
EVGA had a lousy track record back in the early CONROE days. I pretty much lost track of them since everything that I read was bad and I got tired of reading it all. Some days I forget that EVGA even offers motherboards!
I think that we do have a builder here that has had success with EVGA. Maybe he'll pop in.
I think that HOKIE knows of a better fan controller.
CORSAIR PSUs are the next best thing to PC POWER & COOLING. If you get PC POWER & COOLING where you are, go for it.
Stick around we'll review this build list for you.

#12 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

I'm thinking this is the same board.

EVGA

Looks like the BIOS chip is not soldered in. That's good. Definite plus.
I hate a soldered in BIOS chip.
I did some GOOGLING on that and abit of your other listed hardware.
I can't see a reason not to use that motherboard.
Put it together.
We can help you get everything dialed in if you need some help.

#13 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

yes thats the board, and happy new year wasn't expecting any replies today. drunk.gif

so you think i can start buying these parts then except for the controller??

will post some pics when i finally build it and will definetly need opinions on ocing temps and set up. spaz.gif

hysterical.gif

edit:- its either that board or this MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....3%20Motherboard

because i need the spacing between the first pci-e slot for my graphics card and the pci slots for my 2 tv cards.
hard drives:- ocz 60gb agility ssd, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
watercooled cpu.

#14 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Sorry, in a hurry so this will be quick.

PSU - Great choice. I swear by Corsair's single-rail units. PCP&C is potentially better, but I'm sticking with Corsair, they're treating me right. Haven't seen the 850 before, must be new'ish.

Controller - I really like my Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme, I found one in the UK here: http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_in...products_id=522 ...can't vouch for the store though; I live in the us. Takes one 5.25" bay and has six fan controls @ 30W each. If you can take up that much power with fans, you probably won't be able to be in the same room as the system without ear plugs.

Full disclosure - One other user here, Lvcoyote, had to RMA his b/c of a bum LED. I haven't had any issues. They are BRIGHT though...so if you have it in a bedroom and can't sleep with a blue night light, you may have an issue. On the plus side, they brighten & dim as you turn them up & down.

Here are a couple snapshots. Mine is the silver front version, the link is to the black front.

My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

thanks for the reply hokiealumnus(i'm in no rush for replies, can wait while everyone enjoys the holiday) and happy new year.

I like the power output with that controller, could power the pump too, and must admit its not bad looking lit up, but what i really want is an auto controller so i don't have to worry about things getting to hot when i'm asleep, with maybe an auto shutdown feature like the T-Balancer bigNG 4(ray said i could set this feature in bios anyway) that is unless they are not reliable or a manual is going to be much better for my hoped for set up.

that NZXT Sentry LX does look cool tho, just wish it had more power. hysterical.gif
watercooled cpu.

#16 User is offline   chuck4456 

• I'm Overclocked!

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(terry1966 @ Dec 31 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post
thanks for the reply hokiealumnus(i'm in no rush for replies, can wait while everyone enjoys the holiday) and happy new year.

I like the power output with that controller, could power the pump too, and must admit its not bad looking lit up, but what i really want is an auto controller so i don't have to worry about things getting to hot when i'm asleep, with maybe an auto shutdown feature like the T-Balancer bigNG 4(ray said i could set this feature in bios anyway) that is unless they are not reliable or a manual is going to be much better for my hoped for set up.

that NZXT Sentry LX does look cool tho, just wish it had more power. hysterical.gif

The ABIT UGURU Panel looks cool too.
Those days are gone now. For the most part.
Telling someone what to build was much easier when ABIT was around! hysterical.gif

#17 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

well must admit looking cool is not that high on my list of priorities(but would be nice) getting the best part for my idea of what i want is. wink.gif and the power output(reason i liked the T-Balancer bigNG 4 so much) from that controller puts it on my new list of parts unless there's a better option. smile.gif

your the experts and i'm old enough to bow to your greater experience and knowledge. kneel.gif

just tell me what to buy and i'll try and do a good job of putting it together. wink.gif

failing that........

i'll put the kettle on....

my address is ....... hysterical.gif
watercooled cpu.

#18 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

never heard of UGURU so googled it.

didn't look that cool to me... hysterical.gif

http://www.abit.com.tw/upload/products/guru-panel.htm

sounds like a good panel tho(for its day). idontknow.gif
watercooled cpu.

#19 User is offline   terry1966 

• Tweaked Geek

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

just thought I might need a display for my temp readings tho, to go along with the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme controller. any suggestions?
watercooled cpu.

#20 User is offline   hokiealumnus 

• Forum Wars Judge
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

Can't vouch for it b/c I've never seen it in use, but perhaps this is up your alley? IIRC I think Raymo was considering one of those. I'd stick to monitoring with that one though...only 4W/channel; the fan on my big typhoon would blow it up!
My most recent review: AMD HD 6970 Graphics Card Review | Miss a review? Check out the full list here.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users